Illinois residents with an expired driver’s license or ID card will get an extra three months to renew their documents. Expired driver’s licenses and ID cards were originally extended multiple times, most recently until January 1, 2022, due to office closures and quarantines as a result of the pandemic. Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White announced that the expiration dates for the Illinois drivers and residents are being extended from January 1, 2022, through March 31, 2022.
1. Most Illinois Driver Services centers require an appointment for road tests, driver’s licenses, ID cards and REAL IDs.
2. Residents can schedule an appointment at https://ilsos.gov/.
3. Many people can renew their driver’s license or ID card online, by phone or by mail.
4. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has extended the federal REAL ID deadline to May 3, 2023. Airline travelers will then need either a REAL ID card, passport, or other acceptable form of ID.
5. Illinois’ expired driver’s license extension to March 31, 2022, will be the final extension, according to the Secretary of State’s office.
The experienced estate planning attorneys at Estate and Probate Legal Group serve clients in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, and Will counties in Illinois can advise you on the best options to protect your assets and loved ones. To talk to an estate planning attorney contact the Estate & Probate Legal Group at 630-864-5835.