When Your Single Parent Dies, What Happens To Their Property If They Have A Live-In Partner?

  • Estate Planning
WATCH: When Your Single Parent Dies, What Happens To Their Property If They Have A Live-In Partner?

If your parent dies and they are not married but they do have a live-in girlfriend or boyfriend, is their live-in partner entitled to inherit your parent’s house or any property? Inheritance laws vary from state to state and depend on whether or not when your single parent dies they have a written estate plan.

• If there is an estate plan and their partner is not an heir, what happens next?

• If your parent dies intestate, is their partner entitled to inherit their property?

Estate and Probate Legal Group estate planning attorney Mario Godoy has the information you need to know if your single parent in Illinois dies and they had a live-in partner.

Watch: Attorney Mario Godoy Explains If Your Single Parent Dies in Illinois and They Have a Live-In Girlfriend or Boyfriend


In this video, we are going to discuss a common scenario that we advise on frequently. If your single parent passed away, what happens to the property if there was a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend?
This situation is very fact-driven. Here are some considerations:

1) Does the boyfriend or girlfriend have a property interest in the house? Are they on the title? Is there a rental agreement in place?

2) Is the boyfriend or girlfriend set to inherit under any estate planning for your deceased parent?
Even if the boyfriend or girlfriend has no property interest and is not inheriting the property you will need to follow the eviction laws of your state.
Please don’t hesitate to call us if you need help determining what to do in this type of situation.

DuPage County Estate Planning Lawyer

Do you have questions about your parent’s estate? Our experienced estate planning attorneys in Lombard, Illinois can advise you on the best options to protect your assets and loved ones. To talk to an estate planning attorney contact the Estate & Probate Legal Group at 630-687-9100.

We provide legal services in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, and Will counties.